Help with Travel Costs

Some patients and escorts are entitled to help with their travel costs to Hospital. This includes fares & parking tickets.

People who are eligible are:

  • Those attending a GUM clinic over 15miles [24km].
  • War pensioners, if the treatment is for pensionable disability.
  • Individuals, their partners and dependant children in receipt of:
    1. Income support
    2. Income based Job Seekers Allowance
    3. Working Family Tax Credit and named on a Tax Credit NHS Exemption Certificate.
    4. Disabled Persons Tax Credit and named on a Tax Credit
  • NHS Exemption Certificate
  • People named on an HC2 Certificate

Those named on an HC3 Certificate may also get help.

Please remember to bring supporting documents such as certificates, benefits payment books and a form of identification.


How to reclaim your costs

You will need either a receipt or a ticket showing the costs. Fill in the Help with travel Cost form. Take both to the General Office on the ground floor of the Hospital. After a few short checks you will receive your refund.


Can I claim as a visitor?

Visitors on Income Support or Income Based Job Seekers Allowance may qualify for fares if visiting a close relative or partner. Apply to your local Job Centre.


Can I claim as an escort or parent?

Patients, who are eligible [see above] can claim for escort if they are unable to travel alone on public transport due to their medical condition. A GP or medical practitioner letter will be required. Eligible parents can claim if your child [under 16] is a patient.